failsafe fails on a SLES 10/SLED 10
on all SLED 10 and SLES 10 installs i’ve made on 3 machines, i get an error when i boot on the failsafe mode. this is more likely not a SUSE bug but that of the BIOS, as the error report would suggest.
the system will fail to boot on run level 1 or 3 with these parameters passed to the kernel:
showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
with the following message:
- io scheduler noop registered
- io scheduler anticipatory registered
- io scheduler deadline registered
- io scheduler cfq registered (default)
- 0000:00:13. OHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) ffffffff
by the way, OHCI is an interface for USB or Firewire devices. “Open Host Controller Interface, or OHCI, are two open standards that allows a computer host to interact with FireWire and USB devices.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OHCI
nothing will go wrong if you take out those parameters and just put 1 or 3, or less these parameters apm=off, acpi=off, edd=off.
the machines i’ve installed SuSE on are identical. the CPU is an Intel EM64T (Pentium D) duo core @ 3.40GHz. the mobo is an ASUS, model P5RD1-VM, southbridge is a ULI Mi573, an integrated ATI Radeon X300 based graphics VGA, model Radeon XPRESS 200 5A61 (PCIE), and BIOS version GCC11020M.86A.1065.2006.0502.1638.
- > SuSE Linux Enterprise stock ATI Radeon driver bug? October 18, 2006
- > grub basics – booting from command prompt December 20, 2006
- > all i want for Christmas is.. . December 3, 2006
- > Notes On Nagios Configurations October 15, 2013
- > password-less ssh logins June 8, 2007