send text messages via Google Talk
- by Joe Jr Yamut
Google not so recently added another service that would allow you to send messages to a cellphone in SMS format through your GMail or Google account.
supposedly it only works in the US. that is, you must be a subscriber of one of the major US carriers like Verizon, Cingular, Sprint and/or T-Mobile to name a few.
for us here in the Philippines who just love FREE text, that just sucks, huh?! well not really.
here’s a step by step guide on how you could go around this US-only limitation:
1.) you must have a GMail account. if you don’t have one, find someone who does and let him/her invite you. or go to this page, http://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?service=talk
2.) get an IM client that supports the Jabber* protocol. examples of this are Kopete and Gaim (both for Linux). Windows users can download the Google Talk client. related info here
3.) fire up your IM client. set your configurations to:
- add an account and select the Jabber protocol.
- in the account name or Jabber ID, place your Gmail/Google account, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- use protocol encryption (SSL)
- allow plain-text password authenticaion
- set server to: talk.google.com
- set port to: 5223
5.) add the cellphone number to your buddy list like this:
- example: email@example.com
6.) you should immediately see the newly added contact in your list. the contact status should be online.
after doing all these steps, text away and test if your message goes through. this should work fine on Globe and Smart. i don’t know if it works with the other Philippine carriers. don’t abuse the system or else they might cut this neat service.
this is really kewl for Linux users since Chikka doesn’t have a decent client for non-Windows operating systems. and since Kopete/Gaim are multi-protocol clients you don’t have to open another application for this. everything is there in one little window!
- the receiving party must reply to the sender after a certain number of messages have been sent (3 i guess) or the block-feature will kick in.
- the number of free messages per day is also limited. but hey at least you get some for free.
- > i’ll “text” you thru my GMail.. . October 23, 2006
- > problem connecting to Yahoo! using Kopete? June 25, 2009
- > rediscovering Kopete July 16, 2006
- > Steam Client For Ubuntu Enters Closed Beta November 7, 2012
- > 10 Minute Mail! December 3, 2006
Google not so recently added another service that would allow you to send messages to a cellphone in SMS format through your GMail or Google account. supposedly it only works in the US. that is, you must be a subscriber of one of the major US carriers like Verizon, Cingular, Sprint and/or T-Mobile to name…