last night i downloaded and installed the OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 – Novell edition. you might want to try it out. platforms supported are Windows 2000 and XP only (how unfortunate!). file is available for download at http://download.novell.com. you would need to register for an account (if you don’t have one) to be able to download it. the file is an image in ISO format and it’s over 400MB in size. it’s like 3x bigger than the usual size of the installer provided by OpenOffice.org.
available in the following languages:
Arabic, Portuguese (Brazil), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French (Canada), German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
this edition of OpenOffice.org boasts of enhancements not offered in the standard edition. below is a short list of those enhancements:
- Enhancements to Writer: The Writer navigator allows a tree view of the document structure, giving a better navigation experience. We also have improved change-tracking interoperability, better HTML export, and improved printing of fonts. For CJK locales we auto-generate bold and italic fonts where they are commonly missing.
- Enhanced Support for Microsoft Office File Formats: OpenOffice.org supports import and export of Microsoft Office file formats, even taking advantage of compatible fonts to match document length. Transparent document sharing makes OpenOffice.org the best choice if you are deploying it in a mixed Linux/Windows environment.
- E-Mail as Microsoft Office Document: The standard edition of OpenOffice.org supports e-mailing of files as PDF files from within the OpenOffice.org application. With the Novell Edition of OpenOffice.org, you can also e-mail any document as a Microsoft Office file. For example, you can e-mail a Writer file as a Microsoft Word file, so the file is automatically converted and attached to an e-mail in your default e-mail application.
- Excel VBA Macro Interoperability: The Novell Edition of OpenOffice.org eases the migration of many macros from Microsoft Excel. Although not all macros can be successfully migrated, this interoperability offers more than the standard edition, which does not support migration of macros.
- Improved Data Pilot Support: The Novell Edition substantially improves the Data Pilot so you can edit pilots after creation.
- Enhanced Fonts: For the Novell Edition of OpenOffice.org, Novell licensed fonts from AGFA that use the same or similar names as the fonts available in Microsoft Office. The fonts also look similar to those used by Microsoft and have identical metrics. This allows OpenOffice.org to match fonts when opening documents originally composed in Microsoft Office, and very closely match pagination and page formatting.
- ODMA Integration: The Novell Edition of OpenOffice.org for Windows includes initial release of ODMA integration such as GroupWise.
- Multimedia Support in Presentations: Impress now supports audio and video files in presentations.
- > Joint letter to the Open Source Community November 13, 2006
- > sleeping with the enemy November 12, 2006
- > that annoying Recovery window in OOo September 3, 2007
- > Novell Moonlight Is In A Lunar Eclipse September 24, 2011
- > .xlsx Files Do Not Open On Ubuntu 11.10? October 19, 2011