PlayDeb.net is exclusively to games, just as GetDeb.net is a collection of the latest non-game applications for Ubuntu. Both are unofficial repositories for Ubuntu software. The site offers a broad collection of games available in an Ubuntu-ready package.
Once you’ve browsed the list and have decided on what game(s) to get, just click ‘Install This Now’ right below the game’s screenshot. You can’t miss it. Afterwards you will be asked what application to open the link. Choose Ubuntu Software Center (USC). Most likely it will be the only option available, although, you can choose another one.
But wait! You got a “Not Found” error didn’t you?
That is because you don’t have the PlayDeb repository configured into your software sources. You have 2 ways to do it as listed at the site.
- Download and Install the .deb package found here.
- Add it directly – deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu maverick-getdeb games. You can do this through USC. The GPG key can be added through the terminal with the following line: wget -q -O- http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add –
USC vs PlayDeb
Many games listed in PlayDeb can be found under USC without the former’s repository added to your software sources list. You can either get the official package from USC or get the one from PlayDeb. The difference is that updates for the game may be released faster for PlayDeb as soon as they become available from the game authors. Games installed through USC may take a while before it is ported for your Ubuntu version.
If you want the latest go with PlayDeb. Otherwise, stick with USC.
Note: Be aware that installing software outside of the official Ubuntu repositories can be dangerous. Do so at your own risk.
- > Lord of Ultima for Ubuntu May 11, 2012
- > Steam Client For Ubuntu Enters Closed Beta November 7, 2012
- > Upgrading Ubuntu LTS, PHP and WordPress May 17, 2020
- > games on my Linux box August 6, 2006
- > Mint Menu on Ubuntu June 30, 2010