It is certainly something ambitious. Very ambitious. Not only does it attempt to break crowdfunding campaign records across all the boards, it is also like aiming for the moon. Even if the Ubuntu Edge campaign is far from its $32 million goal, it already has broken a few crowdfunding records since the first week that it was launched on IndieGoGo.
I’m sure most people who follow Ubuntu or subscribe to tech news related to Linux and open source will already have heard of this already. I’m a little late to blogging about it here. Heck, I haven’t even written about anything for several months now. But this is a topic that is worth writing (not really) about.
Though I don’t really have the money to actually pledge (reserve) for a phone like the Ubuntu Edge, I would really love to have it if and when it is available by next year. Besides, my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will be one year only come November. So if this should be successful, by November of next year, my current phone will have been 2 years old. Just enough to replace it with a new one. And what better than to get an Ubuntu Edge that also duals as an Android phone. Actually it’s a triple treat – Ubuntu Touch Phone, Android and Ubuntu Desktop.
Okay some quick facts about the Ubuntu Edge:
- Exclusive to Indiegogo backers. The Edge will NOT be available to buy at launch.
- Specs to be finalised as late as possible to ensure the best available components.
- Dual-boots into Ubuntu mobile OS and Android; converts into a full desktop PC.
- Works with LTE and GSM networks, including Verizon and Sprint.
- Perks include all charges for US and UK, including VAT and delivery.
- Standard manufacturer warranty will apply once manufacturer is selected.Zero cost to backers if the campaign is unsuccessful.
And the not-so-specific-Technical Specs:
- Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
- Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
- Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
- 4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
- 8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
- Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
- GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
- Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
- 11-pin connector providing simultaneous MHL and USB OTG
- 3.5mm jack
- Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
- 64 x 9 x 124mm