If like me you use either, or both, Faenza and Numix as your icon and GTK themes, respectively, and you recently upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander, chances are you might have some issues.
During the upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10, the installer suggested that I remove some packages. There were a lot and I did not bother to read each of the entries listed. It turned out that one of those packages included Faenza. The PPA for Faenza – ppa:tiheum/equinox – does not support Saucy as of this writing.
The good thing is that there are .deb packages of this icon theme all over the Internet. (1) You can grab one from here ~ http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/07/install-faenza-icons-ubuntu-13-10/ and at the same time follow the instructions on how to install it on your Ubuntu.
(2) As for Numix, it still uses the same PPA – ppa:numix/ppa – but you need to install the one specific for 13.10 as it does not use numix-gtk-theme as is the case for Ubuntu versions 13.04, 12.10 and 12.04. Instead you need to install the shimmer-themes – use console command sudo apt-get install shimmer-themes or through Ubuntu Software Center. Search for shimmer (without the quotes), then make sure you hit the “Show N Technical Items” at the bottom of the window. Look for Gtk+ themes from Shimmer Project and click install.
Note: I am assuming you have already added the Numix PPA. If you haven’t you can easily do so by following the instructions here – http://satya164.deviantart.com/art/Numix-GTK3-theme-360223962
- > Happy 7th Birthday Ubuntu October 20, 2011
- > Make Nautilus Look Better May 7, 2011
- > Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Swims Out Today May 1, 2011
- > reminder to me: September 4, 2006
- > Mint Menu on Ubuntu June 30, 2010