Keyboard Not Functioning Properly After Ubuntu 13.10 Upgrade
- by Joe Jr Yamut
This might happen to you as it did to me when I upgraded my Ubuntu 13.04 to Ubuntu 13.10, so let me write down the steps that was taken to fix the issue.
Issue: Keyboard not functioning 100% after login. It does not output any characters when typing something on most of the applications.
Description: After the upgrade to 13.10 Saucy Salamander finished on my laptop, the system proceeded to reboot. Everything was normal until I logged in to Ubuntu. Once the desktop finished loading I started Firefox and started typing on the location bar when I noticed that no characters were coming out. I immediately opened Nautilus, started typing something, and also got the same behaviour – there was no output from the keyboard. I tested this with several other applications and the results were mostly the same.
- The keyboard functions normally on the Unity Dash
- Logging into a Guest Session, all keyboard functions are okay.
- Going to another TTY (by pressing key combo, e.g. CTRL + ALT + F3), keyboard works as expected
You need to change the keyboard input method in the System Settings. Follow the steps below.
- Launch System Settings, then search for Language Support. Click on Language Support. (Note: This will launch a new window. There are 2 tabs. Make sure you are on the correct tab as shown in the screenshot below.)
- At the bottom part find “Keyboard input method system”
- Switch to something else that is not currently selected. The options on mine are – “Default”, “IBus” and “None”. (Note: Default was selected in my case. The option that worked for me is None.)
- After making the change, you need to logout and login for the settings to take effect.
Screenshot of Language Support window
Hope this fix works for you as it did for me.
- > How To Set Default Desktop Session On Ubuntu June 11, 2011
- > When Adobe Flash Settings Isn’t Clickable On Ubuntu 11.10 February 21, 2012
- > Ubuntu 12.04 Is Shaping Up Real Great February 17, 2012
- > Bind Super Key To Application Launcher on KDE March 6, 2014
- > What Ubuntu Version Do You Have? October 28, 2011
This might happen to you as it did to me when I upgraded my Ubuntu 13.04 to Ubuntu 13.10, so let me write down the steps that was taken to fix the issue. Issue: Keyboard not functioning 100% after login. It does not output any characters when typing something on most of the applications. Description:…